Defending champion Bernal withdraws from Tour de France
Jumbo rider Primoz Roglic leads the race from fellow Slovenian Tadej Pogacar ahead of Wednesday's Stage 17
Last year's winner Egan Bernal has withdrawn from the Tour de France, his Ineos team said on Wednesday, after the young Colombian fell out of contention and complained of back trouble.
The Colombian, 23, saw his title defence effectively extinguished on Sunday, the first major mountain stage, when he slipped to more than eight minutes off the pace.
"This is obviously not how I wanted my Tour de France to end, but I agree that it is the right decision for me in the circumstances," Bernal said in a team statement.
Jumbo rider Primoz Roglic leads the race from fellow Slovenian Tadej Pogacar ahead of Wednesday's Stage 17.
"We have taken this decision with Egan's best interests at heart," said Ineos team principal Dave Brailsford.
"Egan is a true champion who loves to race, but he is also a young rider, with many Tours ahead of him and at this point, on balance, we feel it is wiser for him to stop racing."
Jumbo rider Primoz Roglic leads the race from fellow Slovenian Tadej... READ MORE
Hardik Pandya says injuries have always motivated him to perform... READ MORE
Mumbai Indians strike deal with Cadbury, Marriott Bonvoy & Colgate READ MORE
Barnett says Spurs is where Bale 'wants to be', having played over... READ MORE
The minister received the jab in line with the Mohap's move to... READ MORE
The police have forced the patient into quarantine again and... READ MORE
'These are common public health practices that contribute to... READ MORE
The parties saw attendees mingle without masks and maintaining a safe ... READ MORE